Saturday, October 14, 2023

NO RIGHT WAY

    In medicine there are more than one way to do things  and the AI will not be able to give one final way. In Mathematics, 2 plus 2 make 4  and that can not be changed and it is true under all conditions. In medicine sometimes we do things differently in different patient and there is no right or wrong way. I  saw 2 different patients  and they had very similar problems. And I will tell you one at time. 

The patient that I saw was that of my other patient, who had COPD and he had smoked for many years and he had quit ,but it had taken toll and he had COPD and he had shortness of breath and he  needed oxygen. I saw him and he had large mass and we did biopsy and he had cancer and he was not a candidate for surgery based on many factors like being on oxygen with advanced COPD and also the mass was invading the center of the lung . So we did radiation therapy and he did OK . Then his wife came to me. She was about 80 years old and had smoked many years ago. She saw her PCP  and had some cough and some shortness of breath and when she saw PCP her oxygen was low and she was started on oxygen and she had CT scan of the chest done and that was abnormal and so she was sent to me .

  She was elderly women and she has been on 3 L oxygen and she had some shortness of breath and she had not had any chest x- ray in recent past till she had the CT scan . The CT scan showed Aright upper lobe mass and that had invaded the hilum the center of the lung . She also had significant fluid around her lung  and she was short of breath. She had irregular heart beats and had not seen cardiologist but was on blood thinner. So I had high suspicion for cancer which had spread to lymph nodes  and also the fluid that was seen , was most likely due to cancer. She was on oxygen and had COPD  and she  did not want any chemotherapy same as her husband. So I had a choice . I could do bronchoscopy and biopsy and see if I can get the diagnosis of cancer  and then drain the fluid and see if there are cancer cells in it. If my bronchoscopy and biopsy does not give diagnosis then i will have to ask radiologist to do needle biopsy of the mass and if the fluid  reaccumulates then we have to have a catheter put in for periodic drainage. Since she was on blood thinner, we will have to hold it for 5 days every time we did any invasive procedure. So if I did all these procedures we will be stopping and starting blood thinner many times . So I decided to do thing that I thought was RIGHT for THIS PATIENT. 

  I called radiologist and asked him to do needle biopsy of the lung mass and at the same time put in catheter , under the presumption that the fluid was due to cancer and will come back if just drained and then will need drainage again or the catheter for periodic drainage. 

  THIS WAS THE RIGHT WAY FOR HER IN MY UNDERSTANDING . 

 . 

No comments:

Post a Comment